Wednesday, May 08, 2013

T-R-O-U-B-L-E with a capital R

Lets just say I pixxed a mom Cardinal off a little while ago, and may not be welcome in my front yard for awhile.  
I walked outside with Buddy on a leash, and since the Phoebes are now gone, decided to see how large the cardinal babies were getting.  I rattled around, to make sure mom wasn't on the nest, then peaked in, which means I have to lift the branch above to see.  Well, my hand got a bit close to one of the little ones, and he started squawking and having a fit, and jumped out of the nest, into my hand and then onto the ground.  I got him, and put him back into nest, all the while being circled by a very angry mom.  And then dad decided to get into the mix, he was in a tree about 15 ft away raising the dickens.    Even after I came back into the house, you'd have thought I'd wrung it's neck and fed it to the cats, the way they were carrying on....

Phoebe update...






Yesterday afternoon, I spotted them in a small tree in the yard, and mom was feeding them.  They are gone this morning, but hopefully will return soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aren't those little phoebes cute-I hope they come back too. Better watch out for dive-bombing cardinals-the Mom's hold a grudge awhile.
lol

Tete said...

Great photos and glad you went pecked on the way back to the house! Where are the photos of the cardinals?