Tuesday, September 11, 2012


On 9/11/01, I was taking care of my first grandchild.  He was 17 months old, and had no interest in news programs, so we were watching Sesame Street or something similar.  
I had planned on going to town that day for a haircut, so I called his mother to see if she wanted to have lunch with us.  When she answered the phone, I asked the old standby question, "what are you doing?"  "Watching tv!" was her answer, and that kind of threw me, since she was an office manager at her workplace, and that wasn't part of her job description. 
She told me that a plane had hit one of the towers at the WTC, and I switched channels just in time to see the 2nd plane hit.  I said "Bin Laden"  that was my exact and full statement.  

I went on to town, and bought groceries, filled up the car, and had lunch with daughter.  Before getting out of town, the lines were beginning to form at all stations, as everyone realized the true impact of what had happened.  I talked to my other daughter, who worked at a Co-op, later in the day, and she said they had lines past closing time, thank goodness, they had already ordered extra fuel, so they didn't run out.

I was alone that night,as my husband was on a trip in his 18 wheeler.  We talked, and he wasn't sure when he would get home, he did say he was keeping his tanks full, and fuel had already begun to go up in price.   
My computer room at that time faced east, and I remember the eerie silence.  No planes, nothing, and I'm to the west, on flight path from a major airport, and a military base, planes cross here often. Then,either that night, or the next,  as I sat there, a plane crossed the sky, and that was even more scary than the silence, but as it got closer, I recognized the sound and was pretty sure it was a military plane. 

God bless the USA and all the families that lost members that day.  I pray that nothing like this ever happens again.


Tete said...

I remember the skies being clear, too. We always have jet paths here. For 3 days they locked them down. That has never happened before. Dad's a pilot. I kept thinking they know more- missles might be on their way. It was eerie. The silence was more scary than all the goings on before. And then not finding very many alive as they dug and dug. I was working at the antique mall and no one came in. They stopped spending money for a time. I would sit out front on a bench and just look at the plain skies.

Maple Lane said...

Such a tragic day. I turned on the tv just in time to see the 2nd plane hit also. May God bless America.

NanaDiana said...

Oh- It was eerie indeed...a terrifying, awful day. We have the nuclear power plants across the peninsula from us and there were all kinds of military personnel sent there to guard it and they put huge (several tons each) rocks all around the whole plant...except for one gated entry and that was guarded by armed marksmen. Scary indeed- xo Diana