Sunday, August 12, 2012

THE CHOICE by Robert Whitlow

 Sandy Lincoln was 17 and a cheerleader in high school, when she found herself pregnant by her boyfriend, Brad Donnelly.  They considered running away, but had  differences of opinion, so they broke up, when he wanted her to have an abortion.  She moved to Atlanta, to live with her aunt, and finish school.  On the way to Atlanta, in a convenience store where she had stopped to get a drink and stretch her legs, an old woman looked at her, and told her that she was having twins, and that they should never be together or one of them would die.  Twin boys were born to her, one went to a couple in California, and one to a couple in Georgia.

The story picks up 33 years later, when Sandy is a teacher, who tries to help a young Mexican girl who finds hereself pregnant  She helps her find a lawyer, and imagine Sandy's surprise, when she sees a photo of the home he grew up in, and realizes he is one of her twin boys.

I could not put this book down, I finished it in two days, even with 3 grandkids visiting.  It is realistic, for the most part, and very gripping.  Having known a few young women who found themselves in this circumstance, it makes me know how hard the decisions were, especially in the 1970s.  If you want a good book, that will make you wish it didn't end, you'll want to read this book.
Thomas Nelson Publishing
418 pages


I was given a copy of this book to read and review, by Litfuse no other compensation was given.  I'm not required to give a positive review, all opinions expressed here are my own.

3 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Okay- This is definitely one I am going to read. It sounds fascinating. xo Diana

Cotton Peony said...

Hi Jette,

Drop me an email which is located on my blog. :)

Listening to an audio book The Hypnotist right now. Very tense and graphic novel. Thanks for the tip on this author as I love to read/hear different venues.

warm hugs,
Cotton Peony

Nonnie said...

Yes. This was an excellent book showing emotions of crisis pregnancy for all involved. I read The Choice last week. It was worth reading.