Thursday, August 30, 2012

Over the Edge by Mary Connealy

Callie and Seth were married when he was in the hospital, recovering from injuries suffered in a battle in the Civil War. A few weeks later, he disappears, and Callie doesn't know what happened to him. She finds herself pregnant, and has a beautiful baby boy. After losing her home, and her father, to a land grabbing rancher, she heads out to find her husband's family, hoping they will take her in. On the way, the stage coach is attacked, and she fends off the attackers, sending the other occupants to find help, and sending her son with them.

Who first shows up to help? Her no good husband, that's who, and she threatens to shoot his worthless hide. Then to complicate things more, a young cowboy named Heath shows up, wanting his part of the land his father had left. Seems their father had a secret life, and another child that none of them knew about.

This is just the beginning of this book. Seth and Callie have a long way to go, he doesn't remember much of anything about his time in the war, or the hospital. Callie goes home with him, to his brothers ranches, to get to know him, and decide if they have a chance.

Though westerns are not my favorite type of reading, this series has really held my interest. Callie is my type of heroine, strong but ladylike. I'm waiting for the author to write the story of Heath, the young half brother who shows up in the beginning of this story.

I received this book from Litfuse to read and review.  No other compensation was given.  I am not required to give a favorable review, all opinions expressed here are my own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good read and I have another blog friend who enjoys Civil War stories. I'll give her your link!