Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cliques, Hicks, and Ugly Sticks by K D McCrite

Cliques, Hicks, and Ugly Sticks
Confessions of 
April Grace
by
K. D. McCrite

Published by
Tommy Nelson
a division of 
 Thomas Nelson Publishing

April Grace Reilly and her family live in Northwestern Arkansas, on aptly named Rough Creek Road.
New neighbors from California bought the house just down the road, which needed lots of work to be livable, so her parents ask them to stay with them, until the house is fixed. 
The first day of school, the new neighbor, Isabel has an accident on the rough road, which means that they'll be living with them even longer.
Soon April's mother becomes ill, and scares her to distraction, afraid her mother is dying.  And Lily, April's mother,  won't be able to direct the Christmas play at their church.  Isabel is recruited to direct the play.

Even though this book is directed toward young teens, I found it very interesting, and it kept my attention all the way through.  It has a great message about tolerance and acceptance.  When I first started reading,being from the northern part of Arkansas,  I have to say I was a little disconcerted to find that the book was set in Arkansas, and was afraid it would portray us as 'Hicks', but it does not, and for that I am very glad.  

I received this book to read and review, from Booksneeze.  No other compensation was received.  I am not required to give a positive review, all opinions expressed here are my own.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R35WYQVVOQ2DLX

2 comments:

Tete said...

Love the title- LOL. How are you doing today? I am hanging in there. IBS has reared it's ugly head. I cannot take antibiotics very well. Good thing there will be plenty of mashed potatoes and noodles tomorrow!

K.D. McCrite said...

Thank you so much for the lovely review of my book! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, and hope you will read other books in the "Confessions of April Grace" series.

Please, put your mind at rest. I, too, am from Arkansas, and one of the purposes of my writing is to prove we are not the concocted stereotype thrust upon society by those who do not know us. The first book of this series, In Front of God and Everybody, addresses that very topic.

God bless!

--K.D. McCrite