Monday, May 10, 2010

Hearts Awakening by Delia Parr

Ellie Kilmer is basically homeless, depending on cousins to give her shelter after her parents are dead. Plain in looks, a spinster at 31 years of age, and in need of a letter of reference to be able to find a position, she takes a temporary position suggested by the minister. Cooking, cleaning, and caring for 2 small boys, ages 3 and 5, while their father, Jackson Smith, tends his orchards. The youngest boy, Ethen, hasn't spoken since his mother's death, several months earlier.

After a few days, Jackson asks Ellie to be his wife, in name only, so that she doesn't have to travel the several miles back and forth daily. Insulted, she first refuses, but rethinks his offer, and they go that day and marry. She finds herself falling in love with her new husband, though she never says a word. Shortly afterward, she discovers that Jackson is still in love with Dorothea, who married someone else, but who is now a widow, and returning to the area. Will Jackson set their marriage aside, and marry his first love?

This is a very enjoyable book, easy to follow story, and I'm glad I got a chance read it. It is wonderful for a rainy day, when you just want to sit and relax.

I was given a free copy of this book to read and review. The opinions expressed here are my own. No compensation was given for my review.
Bethany House publishing, a division of Baker House Publishing.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Reminds me a lot of the storyline of Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke. I loved that series so I look forward to reading this one as well.