Sunday, February 16, 2014

Imaginary Brother


What you may not know about me, is I have 3, oh, make that 4 grave markers in my yard.  Several years ago, I had a chance to get them at a very good price, and I've set at least 12 over the years, at family graves I've located in cemeteries around our area that had no markers.  3 of these, I know the location, but haven't had anyone to help me get them there, and set.  The other marker is the original marker of my husband's grandfather, that was found under a house in a town about 20 miles away from the cemetery where he is buried.  His stone had been replaced, and I guess they had someone haul off the original, and they used it as a support under the house they were building.  It is dated August 1916, as his death date.
The picture is him, and his bride, taken shortly after their wedding. 


My grandson, James, turned 11 on the 9th.  He's stayed with us while his parents worked from the time he was about 8 weeks old, so he knows our place about as well as he knows his own home. 

When he was about 4, someone came up to the house on business while we were outside.  James was standing beside me, and suddenly he looked up at the guy and said that is my brother, buried there.  The guy said really...Yes, it's my brother....Just as serious as a toothache.  The guy grinned, because the marker has the date 1864 as the death date. (it is the marker for my great great great grandfather, Gamblin Weeks, who died in Cassville Missouri of pneumonia, during the Civil War).

3 comments:

NanaDiana said...

LOL- THAT is funny! Imagine the thought that went through that guy's head until he saw the date! lol I had a lamb marker out of a graveyard that was abandoned and they were toting the stones to the dump!!!! I carried it around for several years but had to leave it behind when we moved in the winter one year. xo Diana

Tessa~ Here there be musing said...

Your "day care" of James, sounds a lot like ours, of our first Grand daughter. Who is now a senior in college. Time flies...

Susie said...

Oh that is sweet what James told that man. Jettie, Hope you are doing better . I am send some warm wishes to you. xoxo,Susie