Wednesday, January 04, 2012

The LOOM by Shella Gillus

Shella Gillus has hit a home run on her first try. 

Lydia is a light colored house slave on a plantation in the south, pre Civil War. She hates being owned, and tries to escape, only to be caught and beaten badly, almost dying. She falls in love with John, but even being in love, she still wants to escape. When she sees her father beaten to death, she figures out how to escape, by pretending to be white. Soon she is in another town, being treated well by the friend of her former owner's daughter. He asks her to marry him, and soon Lydia finds that being 'free' isn't freedom. 

I really enjoyed this book, I love the era in which it is set, and feel that Ms Gillus did a wonderful job of portraying the era, and the people. 

I recieved this book to review from the Publisher. No other compensation was given. I am not required to give a favorable review, all opinions expressed here are my own. 

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

Jettie, I love books that are set in this area. I think I would really like this one. I can't believe you have found time to read with everything you have going on. xo Diana