Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Gospel According to Jesus by Chris Seay

Thomas Nelson Publishing
Religion/Christian life/Spiritial Growth

What does the word Righteousness mean to you? 

This book examines the average Christian's understanding of the Bible, especially the translation of certain words, and how they may hold a different meaning than originally intended, when written in the original languages.

I'd say, that, as someone who is trying to learn to live as Jesus taught,
 a 2nd reading of this book would give me greater understanding of the author's point, that 'there is a staggering disconnect between the gospel according to Christians, and the gospel according to Jesus.'
I also feel that reading this book and discussing it with other people, would also help me to be able to get a good understanding of what the author means.

I recieved a copy of this book from Booksneeze,  to read and review.  No other compensation was given.  All opinions expressed here are my own.

1 comment:

NanaDiana said...

I do believe that there have been so many "interpretations" of the Bible that some of them are way off base. I think there are many religions that take the Bible and slant it so that they can carry the message THEY want carried and not necessarily the one Jesus meant.
My first thought is of Jim Jones and the massacre he perpetrated.

I had a discussion with a friend the other day (we have been friends for many years). She calls herself "spriritual" but not "religious". I asked her what that meant. She said that she believed in Heaven but not Hell...and did I REALLY believe there was a Hell beyond this Earth. I told her that if I was going to accept the part of the Bible that said Heaven was real then I also felt I had to accept the part that said Hell was real. She wanted to know WHY? I told her that it was because I wasn't smart enough to figure out which parts to believe and which to ignore. I think she was kind of ticked off at the end of our conversation. She has, after 20 years in a community type church, decided to go back to the Catholic church so that she can be buried, in good standing, in the grave yard that is closest to her home. hmmmm..